R-442A is a non-azeotropic mixture of HFC refrigerant gases with zero ozone layer depletion, low global warming potential and high in energy efficiency, used in new refrigeration equipment at mid-range and low temperatures. It is also a direct drop-in replacement for R-404A and R-507 and an indirect replacement (retrofit) for R-502 and its HCFC substitutes like, for example, R-22, R-408A, DI-44, HP80.
R-442A (RS-50) represents the evolution of highly safe (A1) refrigerants in the HFC group, with low greenhouse gas impact and high energy savings for refrigeration. Studies undertaken by the Polytechnic University of Catalonia have shown that R-442A is the refrigerant with the highest cooling capacity and performance coefficient compared to R-404A, R-507, R-407A, R-407F and R-22 both at mid-range and low evaporation temperatures. A significant reduction in the time required to reach the desired temperature was also noted. The special additives in R-442A also allow for a major improvement in the POE oil return to the compressor. Changes from R-502, R-408A, DI44 and R-22 to R-442A are very similar to those done with R-404A. Virtually all that is needed to change an R-404A or R-507 installation to R-442A is to close the expansion valve slightly. When it is used as a retrofit for R-22, the safety valves also need to be changed along with any other elements calibrated to R-22 pressures.
· Water coolers.
· Cold stores.
· Refrigerated display cabinets.
· Ice cream/ice machines.
· Ice rinks.
· Cold chambers.
· Refrigerated transport.
· Cold drinks dispenser.
· Freezing tunnels.
· Fishing boats.
- Medium temperatures
- Low Temperatures
- new Installations
· Dos not damage the ozone layer, ODP = 0.
· Only compatible with POE synthetic oils.
· Equipment can be refilled in the case of leakage.
· Lower discharge temperatures than R-22.
· Much higher cooling capacity and energy efficiency than R-502, R-22, R-404A, R-507 and R-407A.
· Higher cooling capacity and energy efficiency than R-407F.
· Pressures similar to R-404A.
· Global warming potential (GWP) = 1888
· Boiling point at 1.013 bar (ºC): -46.5
· Temperature slip or glide (ºC): 4.6
· Saturated vapour density at 25ºC (kg/m3): 47.7
· UN nº: 1078
· Safety classification: A1. Low toxicity and nonflammable.
· Always load in its liquid phase.
- Synthetic POE oils
MANUFACTURERRefrigerant Solutions Ltd
We succeed in greatly reducing the TEWI with this refrigerant, which is the sum of the direct CO2 emissions provoked by refrigerant leakage and the indirect emissions produced by the electrical consumption of the equipment using this refrigerant. Many installation companies used to recommend R-404A and R-507 for high temperature installations despite being less efficient than R-134a, because using R-134a requires a larger compressor thereby increasing the cost. With R-442, a larger compressor is not required but a great deal of energy efficiency is gained.