R-407A is a mixture of non-azeotropic HFC refrigerant gases, with zero ozone layer depletion and low global warming potential, used in new equipment that works at mid-range and low temperatures. It is also an indirect replacement (retrofit) for R-502 and its HCFC replacements such as R-22, R-408A, DI-44 and HP80.
R-407A was developed in the same era as R-507 and R-404A to replace R-502 in new installations at mid-range and low temperatures. At that time, Europe chose to use azeotropic refrigerant gases, not taking into account global warming potential (GWP) or energy efficiency. In reality, at low temperature, R-407A is closer in cooling capacity to R-22 than to R-502, R-507 and R-404A. To convert an R-22 installation to R-407A, the mineral oil needs to be replaced by POE oil, the filter dryer changed and the safety valves and other elements calibrated to R-22 pressures. As with any change from HCFC to HFC, changing rubber O-rings for plastic ones is recommended.
· Water coolers.
· Cold stores.
· Refrigerated display cabinets.
· Ice cream/ice machines.
· Ice rinks.
· Cold chambers.
· Refrigerated transport.
· Cold drinks dispenser.
- Medium temperatures
- Low Temperatures
- new Installations
· Dos not damage the ozone layer, ODP = 0.
· Only compatible with POE synthetic oils.
· Equipment can be refilled in the case of leakage.
· Lower discharge temperatures than R-22.
· Cooling capacity slightly lower and energy efficiency similar to R-22.
· Cooling capacity and energy efficiency lower than R-442A and R-407F.
· Pressures similar to R-404A.
· Global warming potential (GWP) = 2107
· Boiling point at 1.013 bar (ºC): -40.8
· Temperature slip or glide (ºC): 4.2
· Saturated vapour density at 25ºC (kg/m3): 49.74
· UN nº: 1078
· Safety classification: A1. Low toxicity and nonflammable.
· Always load in its liquid phase.
- Synthetic POE oils